Wild Child

Wild Child

Friday, April 13, 2012

sharks in the rivers

     As a "Queens" girl I've never viewed myself as a city girl, although many would beg to differ. If you're from anyone of the five boroughs you're a city kid. There's no denying or hiding in Ana the reflection of her environment within her poetry. I enjoyed how she touched on the simple aspects of daily life. This is my second contemporary poetry book. I definitely connected with her loneliness, sadness, wanting to abandon her immediate environment, and craving for so much more. Her poetry somehow gave me comfort in knowing that I'm not the only individual that has deep layers of sentiment. Sentiments she gracefully  simplifies and complicates in poetic words and imagery. It feels natural, easy and deep. I enjoyed her unique writing style. I recommend this book. There may not be many books I will not recommend, but that is because I am falling in love with poetry. Open to change always, makes me open to others voices and with that new knowledge, how will that altar my own voice? Curious...

My favorite poem...

"Crush" 

Maybe my limbs are made
mostly for decoration-
the way I feel about
persimmons. You can't
really eat them. Or you
wouldn't want to. If you grab
the soft skin with your fist
it somehow feels funny,
like you've been here
before, and uncomfortable
too, like you'd rather
squish it between your teeth
impatiently, before spitting 
the soft parts back up
to linger on the tongue
like burnt sugar or guilt.
For starters, it was all
an accident; you cut
the right branch
and a sort of light
woke up underneath, 
and the inedible fruit
grew dark and needy.
Think crucial hanging.
Think crayon orange.
There is one low, leaning
heart-shaped globe left
and dearest, can you
tell, I am trying 
to love you less.

No comments:

Post a Comment